Saturday, October 25, 2008

Happy Diwali

The streets are full of Diwali decoration, sweet shops loaded with dry nuts and colorful sweets, people are bustling on the road rushing to do their last shopping, yes, Diwali is coming!

Diwali (Festival of Light), also called Deepavali, is a really really important festival for Hindus, Jains and Sikhs, but it is celebrated nearly by everyone in India now. It's a day of lights and fire, to celebrate that human beings overcome the evils in their hearts.

Sindhi Sweet is packed with people and nuts (real nuts!), people are paying a lot for cookies, ladus, gulab jamuns, cashew nuts, rasins, happily and willingly. You can tell Diwali is different from all other holidays. Cops work harder, shops open later, people wear less(I hope, but fact is opposite) and the day become shorter. You don't see the effect of economic crisis here since people have been saving their bucks for a whole year for it. Everything just becomes more lively.

This is my first Diwali (how I wish I could be here for more Diwalis), but I am not going to be able to stay with my friends and enjoy the fireworks in Chandigarh. Tomorrow I am going on a 1 week trip in Rajasthan where it is SAID to have less celebration. Having worked for nearly a year without any long travel, I am so eager to make a trip like this, though it will be a trip all by myself.

I start to like my house again, with good friends, good drinks and good games. Pity we have only a couple weeks left. ok I am writing something completely random again. shit. Anyways, happy Diwali, people! I will def go to KFC with someone before leaving.

No comments: